Log in

In State Tuition - Graduate Students at Florida State University [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Graduate Students at Florida State University

[ website | Florida State University ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Links:| Applying to Grad Community FSU Noles Community Tallahassee Community FSU Current Information for Graduate Students ]

In State Tuition [May. 16th, 2008|10:43 am]
Graduate Students at Florida State University


Hey everyone! I am looking at FSU for a Social Work MSW, and possibly a PhD.

Can anyone tell me about the process for getting in state tuition for an out of state transfer? The rules seem very strict, has anyone successfully gotten this? If so, how did you do it? :-)

Other than buying a house, or working 30 hours a week for a year, are there any other quick methods to assure in state tuition?


(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]From: stacycat69
2008-05-17 02:17 am (UTC)
Well, the requirements are to show that I did not move to florida for the reason to go to school. So, if I just live there and go to school, Im not considered "in state."
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: samanthaspametc
2008-05-20 05:00 am (UTC)
When you get into town, go to the courthouse first thing and declare your domicile. That's the main thing you need to declare in-state. Then you need a copy of your lease, as well as an in-state driver's license. You have to have a grad assistantship to show that you are not "just here for school."

To seal the deal: register your car in Florida, and get your voter registration.

What they are looking for is that you have "severed legal ties" with your previous state.

Grad students have a much easier time getting in state. The registrar is located in University Center A. The man's name is Michael, and he is very understanding if you are prepared with your paperwork. You need to get the paperwork from him (right when you get there--THE FIRST DAY you get here) and then you keep it in a file for a year.

So to recap:
1. get your declaration of domicile, license, voter registration, car registration, and copy of your lease.
2. Get the paperwork you need from the registrar's office in UCA
3. Keep all of it in a file (filled out in full)
4. Turn it in next fall to declare in-state then. (You have to prove you've lived in state for a year before they will reward it).
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: stacycat69
2008-05-20 05:03 am (UTC)
Thats very helpful! Thank you so much!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: morphinex
2008-05-17 08:42 pm (UTC)
To get in-state tuition your second year you need to have a job. If you have a TA or RA position you should be fine, and these appointments are typically around 15 hours/week.

Good luck with the in-state certification process. It is a real pain.
(Reply) (Thread)